Iwl3945 is the new driver for the Intel PRO/Wireless 3945ABG wireless chipset. It includes new features like:
- Managed and monitor mode support in one driver
- Enhanced injection support
- Multiple interfaces on one device – use the aircrack suite on a monitor interface while remaining associated on a managed interface
- Full radiotap support, for both incoming and outgoing packets
- No more binary regulatory daemon needed, regulatory enforcement is done by the firmware
The driver is based on the mac80211 stack, so the usual requirements apply (aircrack-ng 1.0-rc1, a recent version of libnl, a fairly new kernel, etc.)
I’m quite excited about this, because previously my chip wasn’t able to do packet injection. Now, I can force WEP client to dissassociate from their WAPs, and I can potentially break WEP! My Core2Duo 1.8GHz machine may not have the horsepower, but my AMD 6400+ X2 can certainly handle it.