Why are Flash Cookies Harmful?
- they are never expiring – staying on your computer for an unlimited time.
- by default they offer a storage of 100 KB (compare: Usual cookies 4 KB).
- browsers are not aware of those cookies, LSO’s usually cannot be removed by browsers.
- via Flash they can access and store highly specific personal and technical information (system, user name, .).
- ability to send the stored information to the appropriate server, without user’s permission.
- flash applications do not need to be visible to the user
- there is no easy way to tell which flash-cookie sites are tracking you.
- shared folders allow cross-browser tracking, all browsers use the same LSO folder
- the company doesn’t provide a user-friendly way to manage LSO’s, in fact it’s incredible cumbersome.
- many domains and tracking companies make extensive use of flash-cookies.
- flash-cookies are used to re-create data of deleted traditional cookies.
Read more about LSO’s on wikipedia and Download Better Privacy firefox extension to keep track of those who keep track of you!