A VPC, or virtual private cloud, does not offer security. It is only a container, inside which subnets are created. AWS resources are launched inside of a subnet. EC2 instances make use of Security Groups for their security. Subnets provide an additional layer of security in the form of Network Access Control Lists. The combination of Security Groups, and Network ACLs are what provide security to EC2 instances. VPCs themselves are not networks, and AWS resources cannot be placed inside of them (other than subnets, Internet Gateways, and VPC endpoints, none of which the customer is required or expected to “secure”)
From cygwin install:
(if you cannot find python-something then search for python2-something)
Then open cygwin, and run:
pip2 install ansible
UpdraftPlus seems to be a promising backup plugin, with a daily/weekly/… schedule for backing up database, as well as wordpress files. I’m not happy with the way Google makes it hard for these plugins to work with them. For this reason I was forced to select Dropbox as the remote backup destination, instead of Google Drive. S3 is also an option.
I’d give it 5 stars overall.
I have just migrated my blog from my previous host j u s t h o s t to Amazon Web Services. Even on just a humble T2.micro, the speed is noticeably quicker. I have MySQL running on the same host, with no load balancers, and just an Elastic IP Address and Route 53 A Record pointing to it. I still need to figure out a way to automate a daily Ec2 Snapshot, with deletes after 14 days.
The previous webpage I was using to help me with making custom configurations to my NAT for my virtual machines is no longer viable for Version 5. However, after upgrading to version 5, I had to follow these directions:
In VMWare Player 5 you need to:
go to the vmware-directory and run in an elevated cmd.exe-box
rundll32.exe vmnetui.dll VMNetUI_ShowStandalone
This should be interesting to try on my Android Samsung Galaxy S3. http://blog.al-aqel.com/android/guides/google-wallet-on-unsupported-devices/
6:00 am arrival in Taoyuan International Airport. Didn’t sleep much on the plane. Food was a bit bland, but the flight was quick. I think I’m getting used to these long flights, when 9 hours doesn’t phase you.
I was trying to investigate a failed disk from a RAID array using a USB hard drive dock and Windows 7. The problem was Windows was reporting that the disk was read-only, so it wouldn’t repartition the hard disk.
I opened up diskpart tool in windows (Run As Administrator) and tried to run the clean command, but again it complained that the hard drive was in read-only mode.
Finally, I found the way to remove the read-only flag, so I could
wipe the drive, and scan it for bad sectors.
DISKPART> list disk
DISKPART> select disk 2
DISKPART> list part
DISKPART> select part 2
DISKPART> attrib part clear readonly
We’re up and running on our new host. It’s good to be on a host that doesn’t block your remote shell access and has cheaper dot-com domain names! Thanks!
- Cereal, there should only be two major kinds of cereal. They should be very expensive, and small boxes should cost nearly as much as big ones. The most expensive ones should have the most raisins, honey, and those little sweet cluster thingies
- I don’t know the first thing about cars. I don’t know a ‘chassis’ from an ‘engine’, or a steering wheel, from a rear-view mirror. That’s why, I prefer someone I don’t know, deciding what’s right for me. I guess I could go and ask a knowledgeable person I know some tips and pointers to buying a car, by why bother? Can’t I just as well trust a faceless corporation do decide honestly for me? Afterall, cars are what they know best. Shouldn’t they be able to select what’s best for me?
- There should, at most, be 4 kinds of cars. But a variety of colours is important. You aren’t able to open the hood without written authorisation from the manufacturer, which means you can’t mod it yourself (unless you’re a pirate, then you just shake yer hook and be done with ’em)
- Don’t even get me started on vocabulary. The less words to describe the same thing the better. I don’t want to have to “think” about which word to use. Using a thesaurus makes my eyes tiried. Why can’t I just be free and select the same word, time, after time, after time, if I so choose? In this way, I can’t be criticised for a limited vocabulary.
- Shoes should come in only 3 flavours, and only from a single manufacturer. I don’t know the first thing about good shoes, i want the manufacturers to tell them the “truth”: “These are the shoes you need. They are the best shoes EVER. Even better than the other ones, which we also said were the BEST ever. They are still good, though, but these are ENHANCED, and they’re new, and we aren’t supporting your old ones, come 9 years.”
- I don’t want to make decisions when I go shopping. Why are there so many damn supermarkets?
- Do we really need so many chocolate bar types? I don’t want to choose. Can someone choose for me?
- Just the other day, I had to stand there in front of the cooler at the store deciding which beverage flavour I wanted! Damn you! I only want to select FROM ONLY TWO beverages! And I don’t want to pick which TWO those might be
- I’m sick of choosing which burger I want, and sick of choosing from which restaurant I want to buy it from.
- I don’t like selecting from 5,000,000 ice cream flavours. KISS. Chocolate, Vanilla, and strawberry